Thursday, July 30, 2009

Some fruit

Hey Everyone!

I think the theme for me this summer has been obeying God despite not seeing any fruit. It has been very difficult for me and I've learned that I rely way too much on seeing the final results of things for my joy. I think I talked about this in an earlier post, but I'm realizing more each day how I need to find my joy in the act of obedience rather than the fruit that sometimes comes through it.

As it often seems to be the case, when we start finally learning our lesson God blesses us beyond belief. As I'm finally starting to be content with the act of serving, God is just now revealing some fruit from my work this summer.

Our staff received an e-mail the other day from one of the students that came down this summer to let us know how his life was completely altered after this trip. He mentioned that he was struggling with depression and questioning his faith but that his relationship with Christ has been renewed after going home. I received a note on Tuesday from a student thanking me for the time I put into the devotionals. In the past, affirmation like that would have been essential to my ability to continue doing what I'm doing. But once God has weaned me off the need to hear others' approval, I finally got to hear that I've been doing a decent job. Mos tof the summer it's been tough to talk about spiritual things with my mento, but the other day he seemed to be listening closely to something I had to share and he said that he would carry it with him in the future.

I know that my summer in Jamaica is not about me. Although I wish it was many of the times (consciously and subconsiously), I need to remember even as I go home that this summer is about obeying God's call on my life and allowing him to use me as an instrument to worship him.

Thanks to everyone for you prayers and support!

I love you all,

AdamE

No comments:

Post a Comment