Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chill weekend and Carmel Baptist!

Hey everyone!

Not much time but here it goes. The weekend was really awesome because I got to stay in Harmons with Tayler, Mac and Krista while the John and Mike went to Ocho Rios with the team. On Saturday I got to hang out with my mento a little bit, then played some dominoes with my friends Barry and Pops while having a pretty cool discussion on what it really means to be a Christian, then spent the evening hanging out with the girls. It was really cool to be here for a full day without responsibilities, when I could hang out with my Jamaican friends as much as I wanted without thinking about the next task at hand. Sunday morning I woke up to go to church with Pops. We went to the Open Bible church in Greenpond. It was an experience, extremely different from American churches. At one point the minister looked out into the crowd of about 30 and asked if "our white brother would like to share a word" with the congregation. I was taken a little off guard but he told me to talk about what i love about God so I talked about how his love is unconditional and his grace can overcome all my inadequacies and weaknesses. I'm not sure if what I said made any sense but I got a reassuring look from the minister as I sat down. There was a lot of charismatic worship and the sermon was off the cuff which is a huge difference from the churches I've attended in America.

After church I caught a taxi to go to Porus to see my mento play in a soccer game. It was the Harmons U-15 team that he's been playing on the past two years. The coach asked me to give a motivational speech so I talked a little about teamwork and working as hard as you can as if for God and not for men but again, I was not exactly prepared for it so I'm not sure if I got my point across. They tied 1-1 in a game they probably should have won but my mento played really well.

This week I'm hanging out with my former youth group which is a real treat. But I'm tired so I'll catch ya later.

AdamE

No comments:

Post a Comment