Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fitting in

Hey Everyone!

We are in the middle of our first week of groups and I'm really enjoying having them down here. It's much more lively around the house with 35 high schoolers running around. It's been great getting to know the students on the work sites, although I'm still getting used to this whole "being in a position of authority" thing. A lot of the times people come to me with questions that I don't know the answer to and it's really tempting to make an educated guess and let them believe I'm probably right ;-).

I've also started to get to know some of the Jamaicans better this week. I think the dynamic of having a group here loosens up the atmosphere a bit. I'm proud to announce that I watched my first live cricket match on Sunday. The village I'm staying in, Harmons, put together their own cricket team that is playing in a Jamaica-wide tournament. I think I understand most of the rules now, and I think it would be fun to play but it can get a little boring to watch; some games last days.

Well, my time on the internet is already running out so I better bid adieu.

I hope everyone is doing well!

AdamE

5 comments:

  1. The last few lines of your first paragraph sounds just like my job. :-P Have you learned everybody's names yet? You should come back and get cricket going/popular at Carolina haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heyy adam! I hope all is well in Harmons. I was thinking about the summer staff & wanted to say hi! I've had the opportunity to serve with you, Taylor & Krista before & know you guys are great missionaries. I really miss Harmons & everyone there, but i know you all are doing great things for them! I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

    one love,

    Ashlee Knapp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." Matt 9:37

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isaiah 55
    Invitation to the Thirsty
    1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
    and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
    Come, buy wine and milk
    without money and without cost.

    2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
    and your labor on what does not satisfy?
    Listen, listen to me, and eat what is
    good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments!

    Anthony-- haha I love making up answers (in fact one of the leaders was joking-- at least i hope-- about pointing me to some scripture about lying). And actually i've done pretty well with names, surprisingly.

    Ashlee-- its great to hear from you and I'll pass the hello on to the staff. We miss ya here.

    Wyatt-- Thanks for the verses. I actually read Isaiah 55 to one of the students last week and told them that my friend is always sending it to me.

    ReplyDelete